Our Advanced Clinician Dietitian, Catherine Keane, shares her knowledge of what fruit and veg are in season in Western Australia, plus check out her healthy (and delicious!) five minute breakfast that you can easily make at home!
What’s in season?
Its springtime, and with that comes increased availability of a new range of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Shopping ‘in season’ not only means savings at the checkout, but the opportunity to buy fresh produce that has not been in cold storage for months.
Look out for new season avocados, berries, figs, citrus, asparagus, broad beans, garlic, zucchini (a favourite of mine!), spring onions to name a few. The seasonalfoodguide.com has the full list.
It is a great time to try something new and get as much colour and diversity into your diet and to #EatARainbow.
Quick Breakfast Berry Parfait
- 200g plain or vanilla Greek yogurt
- 2/3 cup fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries etc.)
- 1 tablespoon chi seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup plain raw oats
- Chop the larger berries (like strawberries) into bite size pieces
- Mix chia seeds into yogurt
- Layer the yogurt into a glass or bowl, then top with berries and oats
- Repeat layers to make this super speedy breakfast
To find out more about Rocky Bay’s dietetics services, call our friendly team on 6282 1900 or click here.