What is Tech Talkers?
Tech Talkers is an 8 week training program designed for parents and carers of children and adults who use augmentative and alternative forms of communication (AAC). The training offers an open environment for knowledge sharing and building skills around using communication devices.
Benefits of Tech Talkers
Tech Talkers will provide you with outcomes such as:
- Learning the theory behind good programming, including vocabulary selection, modelling language and motor planning
- Developing direction for the AAC users system to continue to grow with them
- Developing functional, fun and meaningful opportunities for your child to use AAC devices
- Supporting your child in real life situations, including learning the principles of language interaction and aided language stimulation.
- Using AAC devices to support your child’s literacy development
Tech Talkers Training Program Structure:
Tech Talkers consists of:
- 1 hour assessment session at the clinic for parent/carer and child
- 6 x 2.5 hour weekly group training sessions for parents/carers (children do not attend).
- 1 hour individual session with the training therapist, parent/carer and child at the clinic to support your use of material learnt during the course
The group caters for up to 8 families. We welcome up to three people to attend per client (e.g., mum, dad and support worker). Attendees are provided with a workbook to assist their participation and learning of group content.
Who’s eligible for Tech Talkers Training?
Tech Talkers Parent Training is ideal for parents of a child of any age who:
- Uses any robust communication system (e.g. communication devices, iPad, PODD book)
- Have AAC support goals stated on their individual plan Please note: If your child is currently under an Intensive Family Support plan, attendance in group therapy must be stated on their plan.
Register your interest today!
If you require more information, contact our Customer Engagement Team during business hours on (08) 9383 6113 or