Rocky Bay’s Cooking Group meet in The Studio at Mosman Park to prepare and cook delicious meals together, learning new skills and healthy meal prep.
Disability Support Worker, Chiara Pieravanti, worked together with our Cooking Group in February to make her very own recipe of fresh gnocchi with tomato and vegetable sauce! Chiara was kind enough to share her recipe with us, which you can find below.
1kg of red potatoes
350g (or 3 cups minus 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour, plus extra for work surface
Semolina flour to dust tray/baking sheets if available, or all-purpose flour
- Wash the unpeeled potatoes and place them in a saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Cook for about 20 minutes or until water has come to a boil.
- Scatter flour on a work surface.
- Peel the potatoes while they’re still warm, mash them well with a potato ricer make sure there isn’t any lumps.
- Work the flour into the potato until it becomes a soft, pliable dough (if the dough is too soft, add more flour).
- Roll out the dough into logs about 2cm thick and cut them into pieces about 2-3cm long.
- Arrange the gnocchi on a tray dusted with semolina flour (or plain flour).
- To cook the gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil and add the gnocchi.
- When the gnocchi start floating to the top, they are ready (it usually takes 2 or 3 minutes).
- Remove the gnocchi with a slotted spoon and put them in the pan with the sauce of your choice. Mix well over low heat and serve.
Tomato and Vegetable Sauce method
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 zucchini, ends trimmed and finely chopped
2 celery sticks, ends trimmed and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
700ml passata (tomato pasta sauce)
200ml cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, zucchini, celery and garlic and cook, stirring often for five minutes or until the vegetables soften.
- Add the passata to the pan. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and cook covered for 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens. Season with salt and pepper. Add cream, stir in well and take pan off the heat.
- Add the cooked and drained gnocchi into the sauce or use a deep heat-proof dish to combine. Before serving, leave gnocchi resting in sauce, soaking up all the goodness! Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.