Mindful Movers group aims to support children to understand the concept of mindfulness and how this may link to emotional regulation.
The group will present practical strategies for coping with difficult emotions & anxiety. Between 40 to 80% of all children with Autism have anxiety levels that interfere with participation in their daily occupations and this tends to progressively worsen during the teenage years (Dr Wray, ASD Symposium, 18th June 2018). There is increasing evidence to support the use of mindfulness and associated techniques to reduce anxiety and improve quality of life.
Benefits of Mindful Movers
Group participants will be taught:
- How to move their bodies mindfully using a variety of sequences,
- Breathing and mindfulness activities to promote self-regulation and;
- How to practice simple mindfulness techniques.
The group will be taught through games and activities which are loads of fun!
A child and parent pre/post assessment will also occur.
Mindful Movers Program Structure
There will be weekly sessions throughout the school term, facilitated by 2 x therapists each session. Children and parents who attend the group must be able to commit to attending at least 80% of sessions. There will be a focus on practising strategies at home between sessions to ensure content learnt can be generalised in other environments.
Who’s eligible for the Mindful Movers?
- Children aged 10 – 13 years
- Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Has difficulty managing difficult emotions or anxiety
- Good communication skills & able to follow simple instructions/concepts
- Able to participate in some physical postures and movements throughout the group.
Mindul Movers will be holding a 5 day intensive workshop, great for preparing mentally and emotionally for the beginning of the school year.
The workshop wil be held over two locations:
- Ascot Hub – 13 – 17 January 2020 (2 – 3:30pm)
- Cockburn Hub 20 – 24 January 2020 (2 – 3:30pm)
If you are interested in attending the Mindful Movers intensive 5 day workshop, register your interest below.
For further information please contact the Therapy Administration team:
Phone: (08) 9555 9101
Email: [email protected]