Mindful Movers group aims to support children to understand the concept of mindfulness and how this may link to emotional regulation.
This year, the Mindful Movers program has expanded, now catering for four different age ranges with the following groups:
Little Lotus – Suitable for 3 – 5 year olds
Peaceful Pandas – Suitable for 6 – 9/10 year olds
Flexible Friends – Suitable for 10 – 13 year olds
Wise Warriors – Suitable for 13 – 16 year olds
These groups will present practical strategies for coping with difficult emotions & anxiety. Between 40 to 80% of all children with Autism have anxiety levels that interfere with participation in their daily occupations and this tends to progressively worsen during the teenage years (Dr Wray, ASD Symposium, 18th June 2018). There is increasing evidence to support the use of mindfulness and associated techniques to reduce anxiety and improve quality of life.
Benefits of Mindful Movers
Group participants will be taught:
- How to move their bodies mindfully using a variety of sequences,
- Breathing and mindfulness activities to promote self-regulation and;
- How to practice simple mindfulness techniques.
The group will be taught through games and activities which are loads of fun!
A child and parent pre/post assessment will also occur.
Mindful Movers Program Structure
Facilitated by two therapists each session, children and parents who attend the group must be able to commit to attending at least 80% of sessions. There will be a focus on practising strategies at home between sessions to ensure content learnt can be generalised in other environments.
Who’s eligible for the Mindful Movers Program?
- Children aged 3 – 16 years
- Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Has difficulty managing difficult emotions or anxiety
- Able to participate in some physical postures and movements throughout the group.
Term 1 School Holidays
Wise Warriors (Suitable for 13 – 16 years old)
20 – 24 April 2020 at our Cockburn Office
Over one week of daily 1.5 hour sessions, group participants will cultivate the ability to:
- Develop a regular Mindful Movement practise as a tool to manage anxiety
- Understanding the life changes of being a teen and how this can relate to anxiety
- Improve their sleep – understanding a teenager’s circadian rhythm as well as strategies to promote optimal sleep for individuals with Autism
- Access a breathing and Mindfulness toolbox for every situation
- Cultivating a non-judgemental mind-frame to support flexible thinking
Register your interest below!
If you require more information, contact our Customer Engagement Team during business hours on (08) 9383 6113 or