Wise Warriors is Rocky Bay’s mindfulness program for teenagers. Studies have shown that 40 to 80% of children with Autism have anxiety levels that interfere with participation in their daily occupations and this tends to progressively worsen during the teenage years (Dr Wray, ASD Symposium, 18 June 2018). Mindfulness and the associated techniques are proven to reduce anxiety and improve quality of life.
Benefits of Wise Warriors
Wise Warriors will teach participants how to:
- Develop a regular Mindful Movement practise as a tool to manage anxiety
- Understand the life changes of being a teen and how this can relate to anxiety
- Access a breathing and Mindfulness toolbox for every situation
- Cultivate a non-judgemental mind-frame to support flexible thinking
The group will be taught through games and activities which are loads of fun!
A child and parent pre/post assessment will also occur.
Wise Warriors Program Structure
Facilitated by two therapists each session, children and parents who attend the group must be able to commit to attending at least 80% of sessions. There will be a focus on practising strategies at home between sessions to ensure content learnt can be generalised in other environments.
Who’s eligible for the Wise Warriors Program?
- Children aged 13 – 16 years
- Diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Has difficulty managing difficult emotions or anxiety
- Able to participate in some physical postures and movements throughout the group and;
- Has access to the internet and a computer, tablet or smartphone.
5 to 9 October 2020
2:00pm to 3:30pm
This group offers 7.5 hours of training for just 4.75 NDIS plan hours from the Capacity Building Budget.
Register below for Wise Warriors!