Using LEGO® in a therapy group is more than just creating masterpieces with LEGO®, it’s about using role play to reinforce tools that help your child in social situations. Building Buddies Therapy can be an effective tool to develop verbal and non-verbal communication, sharing, turn-taking and a number of other positive social and communication outcomes.
Benefits of using LEGO® for kids with Autism
Building Buddies Therapy Group is a fun and engaging therapy that aims to help your child:
- Improve their ability to collaborate and solve problems with others
- Adapt to situational changes and expectations
- Improve social communication skills
- Build on their strengths and interests
- Foster positive social interaction with peers
Building Buddies Therapy Group Program Structure:
Building Buddies Therapy Group consists of teams of 3 children and a qualified therapist who work together to achieve a common task. The children are given a LEGO® plan that they need to build. Each child is assigned a role to help them complete the building as a team.
There are a number of roles (i.e. Engineer, Supplier, Builder) that each child has the opportunity to play to help focus their energy on a particular task.
The group takes place each school holidays and consists of 5 sessions that run for 2 hours per day
Who’s eligible for Building Buddies Therapy?
Building Buddies Therapy Group is best suited to children aged 8-12 years who:
- Have an interest in LEGO®
- Have foundational social skills
- Are able to follow complex verbal instructions
- Are able to maintain attention and regulate their emotions
If you believe that Building Buddies Therapy Group is suitable for your child, register your interest and a Therapy Administration team member will contact you to confirm eligibility.
Dates are now available for October groups, or register your interest for future Building Buddies sessions.
Clarkson, Rockingham & Cockburn Hubs
*Cockburn sessions are now fully booked
- 5 October to 9 October 2020
- 9:30am to 11:30am
If you require more information, contact our Customer Engagement Team during business hours on (08) 6282 1900 or