Meet Ken – he’s the Technical Officer in our Rocky Bay Equipment team. Ken has been with Rocky Bay for five years, starting with Community Refurbished Equipment before joining Rocky Bay Equipment at our Patricia Kailis Centre in Cockburn three years later.
Ken recently travelled to Broome with a small team to support our customer, Dylan Marsden, who required a variable positive airway pressure (VPAP) unit to be fitted to his wheelchair (read Dylan’s story here).
Get to know Ken and what his role involves a little more with our Q&A!
What does your role at Rocky Bay involve?
- Assisting in managing the storage of Refurbished Equipment and Motor Neuron Disease Association (MNDA)
- Servicing and repairing customer equipment
- Ordering parts for customers and other technicians
- Sanitising, cleaning and refurbishing equipment for resale and hire
- Working with MNDA to pick up and deliver equipment
- Repairing old and fitting new parts both in our workshop and at customer’s homes
- Designing (with the assistance of my colleagues) and fitting VPAP cradles and systems to power and manual wheelchairs
Tell us more about your experience?
I started my career as a sheet metal apprentice.
I’ve been a very hands on person all of my life and can build just about anything. My welding and fitting experience has been really useful for the position that I am in now.
I have also owner-built five of my own homes, built trailers and have lots of experience with the maintenance and repair of cars.
What do you love most about your job?
Being able to help all of our customers, no matter how big or small the request. I get fulfilment working through problems that I’ve never come up against and calling on my fellow technician’s experience to help me work out the best solution.
The smile on a customer’s face when the job is complete makes me happy!
What do you like to do in your free time?
Keeping fit, working on my house and camping in Busselton.
What are three things you can’t live without and why?
- My shed and tools – that’s where I learnt all my skills.
- My stereo and music – without it I do not perform at my best!
- My garden – it keeps me grounded.