Minecraft is an online three-dimensional video game that allows players the freedom of creating their own tasks and goals. While the game has no rules, there is an achievement system that provides a sense of accomplishment for users. The popularity of Minecraft has made it a useful tool to teach children how to use the game to explore executive functioning skills like:
- Exploration and flexibility
- Self-control and defeat
- Planning and organisation
Benefits of Minecraft for kids with Autism
Minecraft provides a fun environment where children are encouraged to participate in social interactions using the game. Gaming Group gives children the opportunity to understand the logic behind why people are expected to act a certain way in the game. The aim of this therapy group is to aid children to apply this logic to real-world situations, as well as:
- Improve their ability to collaborate and solve problems with others
- Adapt to situational changes and expectations
- Improve social communication skills
- Build on their strengths and interests
- Foster positive social interaction with peers
For our upcoming workshops, Rocky Bay will be offering this program on site in our Duncraig, Mandurah and Cockburn hubs. On site groups offer the opportunity to connect in person with other teens. If you do not live within the Perth metro area, or have issues accessing an on site group, we offer a virtual group where participants can log in from their own home.
For those who wish to avail of the virtual sessions, please be aware that you need to be willing to go onto a private server for the game, and to ensure that they have suitable internet access and the necessary hardware and software.
Therapy Group participants for the face-to-face sessions take part in each of the following:
- 6 x 2-hour group sessions
- Costing also includes assessment, case notes and report
100% attendance is required for the best outcomes
Sessions are facilitated by a qualified therapist who supports the participants to develop and practise skills such as:
- social communication
Who’s eligible for Gaming Group?
Gaming Group is best suited for children aged 10-17 years who:
- have an interest in Minecraft or other video games
- have emerging skills in understanding the thoughts and feelings of themselves and others
- have the ability to express themselves
If you believe that Gaming Group is suitable for your child, register your interest and a Therapy Administration team member will contact you to confirm eligibility.